Using Gluten Free items found at Wal-Mart for less
More Gluten Free goodness for less at Wal-Mart is the second of two sponsored posts. I am receiving compensation for my time to select and buy products, create recipes, and post about them. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.
I was selected to buy specific items from a list of gluten-free products which are available at Wal-Mart. This post highlights the item I chose from the list for More Gluten Free goodness for less at Wal-Mart.
For this second recipe, I selected the Blueberry flavor of the PB & J Bars. I wanted to see how I could use this product in a different way.
Since the product is made with oats it got me thinking. I have been in the mood for a Fruit Crisp so I decided to see how this bar would work.
I ended up using two of the bars as a substitute for the rolled oats in the Fruit Crisp recipe. I used my food processor and it crumbled well. I was worried it might be too sticky. It was not.
While this was in the oven baking, the house began to smell so wonderful! The kitchen had the scent of nutmeg lingering as I used freshly grated nutmeg in the recipe.
This was a fun dessert to make. Yummy!
My boys loved it. The 11-year old said, “This was good!” The 3-year old and 4-year old both ate theirs up. We all enjoyed this ala mode.
Here is the recipe for my Gluten-Free Blueberry Crisp with Blueberry PB & J Bars:
- 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons tapioca starch
- ½ cup to 1 cup (about 2-4) Blueberry flavored PB & J Bars
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- For filling:
- Measure blueberries.
- Stir into blueberries the granulated white sugar and tapioca starch.
- Place fruit into an 8x1½-inch round or square baking dish.
- Using food processor, crumble PB & J Bars.
- Stir into the PB & J Bar crumbles, brown sugar and nutmeg.
- Cut in butter until like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in coconut.
- Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (40 minutes for thawed blueberries) or until blueberries are tender and topping is golden.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, as desired.
How many PB & J Bars depends upon how much liquid the blueberries have. I used a ½ cup and could have used ¾ cup to 1 cup due to the excess liquid.
May use dairy-free substitute for the butter.
Dairy-free versions may be substituted for ice cream or whipped cream.
I would love to hear if you have tasted the PB & J Bars. My boys love them. They are a great snack when we are on the road or when the little ones need something to eat.
I appreciate the opportunity to share this great product with you, my readers!